We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning....
Such is my heartburn.
Maybe not, but it certainly feels that way. It's there when I wake up, there when I eat, there when I sleep.... it's not pleasant waking up at 4 in the morning feeling like you're about three seconds away from turning your bedroom into kindling (my inner child wants to be a dragon when she grows up).
I don't know if this is in the realm of normal, heartburn wise (because before pregnancy heartburn was pretty rare for me), but when I get heartburn, it feels like there's a literal flame in the back of my throat. If I don't drink anything every couple minutes to try and keep it at bay, or pop back a couple tums, it gets more persistent and I start to feel like I'm about to vomit acid. And that's highly uncomfortable.
I was feeling lousy this evening, so Zach looked up foods to avoid when you have heartburn, and found out that pretty much everything we eat causes it. Which was highly depressing. So I ate a very bland meal of rice, a little chicken, and some veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots) for dinner, and all of those are supposed to be good for heartburn (or at least not make it worse). And I'm about to take tums for the 4th time today.
I think this is the worst part of pregnancy for me. I can handle not sleeping well, and feeling emotional all the time, having an incessant need for chocolate (mmmm....), but this... this is no fun.
But it'll be worth it. I may just eat bland food for the next 2 months. Bring on the rice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I understand completely. I never had heartburn before pregnancy so i had no idea what it was supposed to feel like. If i wasn't drinking something than my throat was burning my entire last month.
I would try to drink milk before going to bed because that is what my husband suggested. But it didnt always work. I would roll closer to my husband and tell him my throat was burning and he'd tell me to drink milk. I would get mad at him and tell him that the milk was causing my heartburn. (not true, but it felt that way as often as i was having it - probably pregnancy hormones talking?) I ended up always having a bottle of water next to the bed so that everytime i woke up i had a drink handy.
After my son was born, no more heartburn again. So just stick with it and try whatever you have to. If rice works then rice it is :)
I'm sorry that you're dealing with heartburn, Heidi! I hope these last months fly by for you! <3
Fire Girl! *high fives Dwight*
Pretty much the same here. Except broccoli always gives me heartburn. (Not just when I'm pg. and I don't get heartburn very often.)
My recommendations (because I know you don't get enough unsolicited advice *heehee*): eat small frequent meals, treat it like morning sickness, and lots and lots of pillows.
Post a Comment