Friday, September 3, 2010

40 weeks

Picture from Disney-ClipArt.com

This is me. Only without the beard and massive nose. But add on a pregnant belly the size of a blimp and you've got yourself a very creepy image.

TODAY, September 3rd, is the due date.

Sea Monkey: is still happy as a clam, nestled away inside me. Apparently the fact that we have lots of warm, snuggly clothes and blankets and a nice little bed for him/her to be happy in is not enticing enough to lure him/her out. Come on out Sea Monkey. I'll feed you! You'll have sooooo much more room to squirm and it won't involve trying to reorganize my innards. I want my baby snuggles. In order to get my baby snuggles, YOU MUST COME OUT.

Height and weight averages for around now are 20 inches, 7 1/2 pounds. That's the weight of a small pumpkin.

I: want to hold my baby and I want to hold him/her now. No, seriously, now. Ok?

I know it's common to go over your due date. But I also know that part of the reason for going over your due date is because due dates are generally figured from the last menstrual period and by assuming that every woman has a 28 day cycle and ovulates on day 14. This is not the case for me. Going by the traditional due date, I was due this past Sunday (August 29). My September 3rd due date is based on when I typically ovulate, so it should be more accurate (although.. there is still no baby). The average baby needs 266 days of gestation, so 266 days from when I might have ovulated is today.

So. What does all this mean?

Not really anything.

Dangit.

Technically, it means either Sea Monkey needs a few extra days to get extra cute before coming out or I may have ovulated a couple days later than normal. Which is possible; I was kind of stressed that week. Obviously, I've been going off the September 3rd due date, since it's a better guess than the August date. And thinking "today's my due date!" is far less depressing than thinking "I'm 5 days overdue. Blast."

I was having super light contractions all day yesterday. I didn't actually feel them; I only noticed them when I had my hands on my belly (which, admittedly, was quite often, as I seem to spend most of my time now rubbing my belly and lovingly telling Sea Monkey to GET OUT.) Clearly nothing came out of them. Zach and I went on a walk to see if that would encourage them to become something, but all the walk did was make me tired and sweaty.

I've been trying to stay busy this week. I reorganized Sea Monkey's clothes, diapers, toys, books, and miscellaneous other things. I made a list of all the things that need to be done around the house in a typical week. We have a few freezer meals ready, and I'm being regularly tempted to thaw one and have it for dinner because I have no desire whatsoever to cook right now. I changed the sheet on the co-sleeper because Mali decided to help welcome the baby by sleeping on it and getting cat fur all over it.  And I scrubbed out our bath tub. Twice.

I'm ready to go. I can't think of anything else I need to do before the baby comes. The birthing space is all cleared out and ready to go, the car seat is in and good, Sea Monkey's things are organized and clean and ready, our bedroom is as tidy as it will ever be... We're just waiting on baby.

If I have to write a 41 week post, I think I'll cry.

Belly picture:

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Dear Sea Monkey;
This is Auntie Amanda. Your mom's getting pretty anxious to meet you. You will have PLENTY of time to cause her anxiety as you get older. After all, one day you WILL be a moody teenager, and me and Uncle Zach will spoil you rotten and tell you stories about your mom from when she was younger.
That having been said, don't give your mom such a hard time right away. You've got to limber up for that kind of heavy lifting, store it up for a few years. I promise you can ask all kinds of interesting/embarrassing questions at family functions and at the grocery store (loudly). Just get out here first so your mom doesn't start jumping up and down trying to shake you out.

Copyright 2011
Welcoming Sea Monkey

Powered by
Free Blogger Templates